Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bumps, Bruises, Bug Bites and Little Boys


Where to begin? So much to tell. This blog entry is dedicated to none other than our little man who keeps me so busy to say the least. We started off our eventful week with Aiden showing off his adventurous side. The new tumbling class Aiden is taking has him believing that he is an Olympic gymnast already. He took his stance on the loveseat, threw his arms up and before I could even attempt to put an end to this madness he pushed off into the air, tucked his chin and went for a mid air flip. I assume he thought he would land on his feet. No such luck instead his face. His cheek bone to be exact. From the sound of the hit I could have sworn I heard something break. After thorough examination, Dr. Mom determined he just had one of the yuckiest goose eggs on the side of his face I had ever seen. Maybe this will end the jumping off the couch. Obviously my pleas for him to put a stop to it were not enough. Sometimes life lessons must be learned the hard way. The following morning as I am dressing the little munchkin I notice a very large red and hot to the touch knot in the crease of his neck right where his shoulder met his neck. Strange I thought. Do not panic and for goodness do not be a paranoid mother I told myself. Stay calm. My initial thought is that somehow in his fall he did something to the nerves in that area or to his muscle as that would have been the spot that absorbed the impact. There were no calls made to 911 or speed racing to the ER, instead I made a call to his pediatrician. I made him and appointment for the next morning at 8am. Feeling rather good about myself we carried on about our day. After Aiden's nap I noticed another knot higher up on his neck this one also red and hot to the touch. He was also now running a fever. Ok crazy paranoid mom came out about this time. We headed straight to urgent care. After blood work the dr determined Aiden had been bitten by something poisonous. He reassured me he would be fine but urged me to keep my appointment for the next morning. Without even mentioning that Aiden had seen another dr and what this dr had said, Aiden's peditrician took one look at his neck and said he had been bitten. Very common this time of year in this wonderful part of the world! Aiden's little body in an attempt to protect itelf did not have a localized reaction but instead absorbed all the poison in his lymph nodes. I have never seen anything like it before. Poor little fella. The following night I was rather humbled. There was a brief moment of overwhelming pride only a mother would know and then it was shattered. I was in the other room putting away laundry. I could hear Aiden in the living room with confidence saying, "This is a triangle, this is a square, and this is a circle!". I thought wow. He is just the cutest little thing in there doing his little flash cards. He is so smart I can hardly believe it. I just kept going. My next thought was I am such a great mom. We have been working so hard on his little shapes and he knows them all. Wow. I walk into the living room to see Aiden in the entry way using the wall as a marker board. MY ENTIRE ENTRY WAY - - - COVERED! I did not know what to do or say. Aiden sure did though. "Look mom I am playing teacher!" He sure was. This little parenting disaster only got worse as we were out of touch up paint. It got worse again as I borrowed my neighbors who has the same floor plan as us and I assumed we would have the same color. We did not. Naturally I did not realize this until I had painted it and the paint had dried. What I thought was darker only because it was wet was really just darker because it was a different color. After a lengthy call to the paint store I learned how to fix my disaster. For a mere $15.86 and a day forcing a big smile because I know years from now I will look back and laugh my problems were solved. Yet another little Aiden story to share with his wife and children someday. Until then I will just blog about them.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones