Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Visit From Slim and A Crazy Cave Exploration.








I have finally figured out the way to go into labor if this baby has not made her debut by the time Elliot arrives . . . a tour of the Inner Space Caverns. Not a bad workout, especially if you are 8 months pregnant and a more then excellent way to get kids full of energy nice and tired! We enjoyed a fun visit from our friend Robert Slimmer (aka Slim). We have known Slim since we have been here at Fort Hood. He and Elliot became close their first tour in Iraq when they became "roomies" and were on the same patrol. Since then they have managed to change units together and serve another tour in Iraq and yes they are even "roomies" again this time. Our family has grown to love him like he is just part of the family. Our kids adore him and was even awarded the title Uncle Slim (it could be because he always makes sure to buy them gifts!) The night that Elliot and Slim deployed we were out to eat for their "last meal" when I informed Slim that I was going to find him a girlfriend. Although I love Slim's company it would be really great to double date instead Elliot, Slim and I going out. I had no idea how I would accomplish such a task knowing Slim's high standards (all of which were excellent. A non smoker, no tattoos or crazy body piercings etc). That is when I met Rachael. Such a sweet girl and she was from not far from where Slim was from. Almost too good to be true. They have spent the last several months getting to know one another while living thousands of miles apart. Thanks to instant messaging and the good ol' phone bank at the FOB the two grew a relationship. While Slim was home on leave he took the leap and flew to TX to meet her. Rachael was nice enough to share him for a couple of visits while they were getting to know one another. We enjoyed dinner with the happy couple and a hike through the caves. It was great. I can not wait for Elliot and Slim to return for good so we can officially go on that double date!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. You are really good at this. You should become a writer. Sandy S.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones